Sunday, November 9, 2014

Voluntaryist, the libertarian superhero (interview)

Voluntaryist Is the World's First Libertarian Superhero - Mike Spies, Vocativ:

November 7, 2014 - "Meet the Voluntaryists - the avengers of the libertarian movement.

"They’re the stars of a comic book series that follows a superhero named Voluntaryist and his brethren who defend libertarian values from the prying hands of the U.S. government. Created two years ago by Jamie Roocke-Sherman, a 27-year-old tutor and cosplay lover from Miami, the series dramatizes the libertarian ethos that people cannot be coerced by authority....

"The series’ second installment, which was published on Election Day and is available for free on Roocke-Sherman’s website, finds our heroes fighting off 'statist zombies' - citizens who have been turned into the walking dead by a nefarious government. Vocativ spoke with Roocke-Sherman to better understand the series’ political overtones.

How long have you been a libertarian? 
"When I was 20, two things happened: I was in my history class, and we learned how 70,000 people were forcibly sterilized through an American eugenics program. I’d never heard that before, and I thought, What else haven’t I learned? The research led me to look at things anew: It made me realize this information is not being put out there intentionally. Then I began to do research into the economic side of things."

How did the comic series start?
"...I’d always been interested in comics and cosplay — dressing up for movies like Star Wars. I wondered what it would be like to incorporate that hobby into liberty. I thought the concept could be turned into a movie. But doing a movie is pretty expensive. So I thought a comic would work."

Read more: http://www.vocativ.com/usa/us-politics/meet-voluntaryist-first-libertarian-superhero/
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment