Sunday, November 13, 2016

Campaign over, Austin Petersen wastes no time declaring: "I despise Gary Johnson"

I despise Gary Johnson... but I voted for him. - Austin Petersen, The Libertarian Republic:

November 8, 2016 - "No one has more cause to dislike Gary Johnson than myself. After this man tossed my gift pistol in the trash when I refused to endorse his VP pick Bill Weld (in retrospect a smart decision), it took all the fortitude I possessed not to ignite a full-blown civil war against the ticket. Rebellion is in my nature after all, but when handed my first opportunity to do righteous violence … I chose peace.... I bit back my own hot tears, and told everyone to remain calm. We didn’t know the full story yet.

"But the full story would come out sooner than I expected, and the news was worse than I could have ever imagined. After suffering a year of brutal attacks on my character, my motives for running, and accusations that I was nothing more than an overgrown child, the truth was revealed. Johnson was the man-child. A spoiled, entitled brat, prone to public fits (which he claimed were not out of character), and someone who has no tact, or diplomacy....

"I entered the race for the White House out of sheer desperation and despair.... In October of 2015, Johnson had still not declared yet. Some were speculating that he might not even run.... I knew even if he did run that he wouldn’t change. He’d make the same mistakes, or even worse. I could not sit idly by and let that happen....

"The money poured in, and across the country we went, confronting in debate Johnson on his ignorance over the definition of a 'right,' and taking second place amongst a hostile crowd (who hadn’t invited me over my heresy on libertarian orthodoxy). Johnson pathetically pulled a “San Dimas High School Football Rules” at the end of the event, screaming 'YOU LEGALIZED WEED! I LOVE YOU! YOU ROCK COLORADO' in order to elicit applause … it was the first time I ever felt truly embarrassed to be seen with him. The primary season wore on, and ... my embarrassment only deepened ... and after the primary dealing with the backlash after 'What is Aleppo,' I can truly say that the Libertarian Party has blown a chance that it may never have again in my lifetime....

"With tears streaming down my face in front of thousands, I conceded to Governor Johnson my defeat.... Despite the personal affronts to me, I had high hopes for the ticket.... One gaffe and misstep after another would see my hope diminishing, as Johnson’s poll numbers declined, hope to make the debates faded, and then even hope that the party might reach 5% nationally began to be in doubt. Accusations from the Johnson camp that I wasn’t supporting the ticket enough due to honest criticisms of the handling of the campaign began to roll in.... The ticket floundered....

"After the failings of the Johnson campaign, my stock began to rise.... Colleges began scrambling to book me for keynote speeches. My hopes are buoyed by the eager faces of so many young people who meet me at these events (asking me invariably if I’ll run again in 2020).... I couldn’t be happier for the future, but I still worry about it....

"On May 30th, 2016, I pledged to Governor Johnson 'my respect, my support, and my gun.' Johnson tossed it in the trash, along with my respect, and my support would waver, but never shift. I would continue to support the ticket because my word means something. I voted for Governor Gary Johnson today under severe protest, and with admittedly many personal qualms.... But now, the campaign is over, and it’s time to look ahead.

"You are the past Governor Johnson.... Do the entire liberty movement a favor, Governor. Go skiing, smoke a bowl and be happy. You’ve earned it. Get as high as you possibly can, so even the thought of 'What is Aleppo' is washed from your memory. Go climb mountains, Gary, and never look back."

Read more: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/i-despise-gary-johnson-but-i-voted-for-him/

No comments:

Post a Comment