Sunday, March 15, 2015

Why cats are natural libertarians

Cats are natural libertarians: nothing less than equality is acceptable to them | David Leyonhjelm | The Guardian:

March 12, 2015 - "There is reason to believe that cats are natural libertarians. I’m managed by four of them, and I speak from experience. They are all individuals and refuse to identify with groups.

"I say managed, not owned, because while my cats make demands on me that I sometimes ignore, and I have no idea of their views on my new job as senator, my wife and I nonetheless devote a lot of time to meeting their needs....

"I’ve always liked Winston Churchill’s quip to the effect that dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, while pigs treat us as equals. When I was in veterinary practice long ago, I’d periodically make this observation to clients. It didn’t always go down well (my bedside manner, I suspect, left something to be desired).

"But when George Orwell wrote in his novel Animal Farm that 'all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others', he could just as easily have had cats in mind instead of pigs. Cats will accept being equal, but nothing less is acceptable. It’s very libertarian of them."

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/13/cats-are-natural-libertarians-nothing-less-than-equality-is-acceptable-to-them
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment