Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Common sense on masks

by George J. Dance

For a month the coronavirus crisis brought us all together, united against an unknown, unseen killer. Within a month, though, the virus, and the 'social distancing' policies used to deal with it, had been thoroughly politicized in the United States. The same political virus is beginning to spread to Canada, as well, though far fewer of us have been infected. South of the border, though, it seems almost everyone has caught the political bug. What Republicans or Democrats think about their states' shutdowns or stay-at-home orders has less to do each day with questions of fact about their effects or their ethics; increasingly it depends solely on political allegiance.

Even the question of whether to wear a mask or not has been politicized, after some state governors have made their use in public compulsory. Wearing a mask is no longer a matter of taking care of one's own health, but of "obeying" or "complying" with what the government and its "experts" tell us to do. Forget that they were telling us, in February, to not wear masks; now they've always believed in wearing masks (just like the government in 1984 was always at war with Eastasia). Either you wear a mask, or you're with the granny-killers.

I don't see it that way at all. Wearing a mask should be a common sense health decision, not a political one. That is why I masked up in January, three months before the government started telling me to, back when all the health authorities were saying there was no evidence that masks were effective (something the World Health Organization is still saying).

When the health authorities told me there is 'no evidence' that masks are effective, I knew that does not mean they were ineffective, but that the authorities don't know whether they are; that there are no studies conclusive enough for them to claim knowledge. Which means only that I cannot rely on the experts, but have to use my own common sense (my background knowledge) instead.

By 'common sense', I mean the intuitive picture of the world we all pick up through our life experiences, beginning with our own senses, but also the including the information we've learned consistent with that picture - all of the facts kicking around in our head, which we use to make personal decisions every day. Wearing a mask is a personal decision, which I can and have to make for myself by using my own judgement.

I think COVID-19 is a potentially deadly disease, particularly for a senior like myself. I know it is spread mainly by people breathing on or talking to others, and that it is especially dangerous when those others breathe it in. Two people talking can cut the risk of transmission by turning their heads – still more by wearing masks – and even more by staying farther apart. My wearing a mask reduces what I breathe on others, and also what they breathe near my mouth and nose. I can still get the virus on my mask, hands, and face, but that is less likely and far safer than breathing it into my lungs without one. As well, my wearing a mask tells others I am serious about the disease and encourages them to stay back, further reducing the risk. This may make little difference – I've done no scientific studies of my own – but whatever difference it makes can only be beneficial, for both parties.

As for statistical evidence, I can look at the death-tolls in the countries where mask-wearing during flu and cold season is common, and compare them with ours. Three of those are Communist-controlled, and may not be reliable: China reported less than 1,500 dead outside of Hubei, while North Korea and Vietnam both claim to have no deaths. (North Korea claims to have no cases.) But the non-Communist countries also show low death totals: 900 dead in Japan, 270 in South Korea, 7 in Taiwan, and just 4 in Hong Kong. Those totals are clearly better than Canada's 7,000 deaths and America's 107,000.

On the other hand, I realize that a mask causes one to breathe in more CO2, which is not good for people like me with breathing problems. So I wear mine pulled down around my chin, and only cover my mouth and nose with it when I get within 10 or so feet of someone.

Wearing a mask should be an individual decision. Those who think others are making the wrong decision can also decide for themselves how to act toward those others, whether avoiding them or becoming a woke scold on social media. Owners of property – stores, government offices, or private homes – may make rules for those who wish to use the property, just as they may make rules around wearing shoes; this violates no freedom, as long as those who dislike those rules can simply avoid those stores, offices, or homes.

However, no one has the right to order anyone (under threat of fine and imprisonment) to wear a mask. The only people who should be ordered to do anything in response to coronavirus are the contagious (who should be ordered to isolate, not to mask up). If a government thinks someone is contagious, they can compel him to be tested. If a government is unable to test someone, four months after a disease outbreak, that is solely due to the government's incompetence. Government incompetence should never be an excuse to violate the rights of innocent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment